Free Tax Preparation

Kentuckians have access to nearly 200 free tax preparation sites across the state where trained and IRS-certified volunteers will assist you with your taxes and help you apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). KCADV operates two free tax preparation sites under an IRS grant awarded to United Way of the Bluegrass (UWBG).

In 2019, KCADV prepared 390 tax returns for low- to moderate-income households, earning Kentucky families over $698,832 in federal refunds, an average of $1,863 per taxpayer. KCADV tax preparers helped 43% of low-income taxpayers claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, at an average of $2,229 per taxpayer. Mean Adjusted Gross Income of taxpayers served was $14,165. Twenty-six percent of taxpayers served were survivors of domestic violence.

Taxpayers may call KCADV at 502-209-5382 to determine whether they are eligible for KCADV tax preparation services. 

KCADV provides free tax preparation for survivors at its 15 member programs whenever requested.


More KY Free Tax Preparation Sites:

Central Kentucky Economic Empowerment Project (Lexington area – United Way of the Bluegrass) – 859-233-4460 or Dial 211 in Central Kentucky –

Louisville Asset Building Coalition – 502-574-5000 to schedule an appointment –

Northern Kentucky Asset Building Coalition (Brighton Center) – 859-491-8303 –

Green River Asset Building Coalition (Owensboro area) – 270-685-1603 –

Barren River Asset Building Coalition (Bowling Green area) – 270-782-3162 –

Eastern Kentucky Asset Building Coalition (Hazard area) – 606-436-8853 –

Safe Harbor (Ashland area) -- 606-329-9304 --

People's Self Help Housing (Lewis County) -- 606-796-0811-


What documents should you bring to the tax preparation site?

  • Valid picture ID
  • Copy of 2017 tax return (if you have it)
  • Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for you, your spouse and any children born before December 31, 2018. (If available, bring the Social Security cards or ITIN letters to ensure the information is copied correctly onto the tax return).
  • Income documentation including:
    • W-2 forms from all jobs worked in 2018
    • All 1099 forms showing other income received in 2018
    • Cash income received
    • Bank name, account number, and the 9-digit American Bankers’ Association (ABA) routing number. Contact your bank if you need assistance identifying the ABA number.
    • If you don’t belong to any bank, you can still use the free tax preparation services at any of these sites, have your taxes filed electronically, and the IRS will mail you a check if you have earned a refund.
    • Some sites also have pre-paid cards on which refunds can be deposited.

If any of the following apply to you, take documentation with you:

  • Child care expenses, including the provider’s address and federal ID #
  • Mortgage company statements
  • Adoption expenses
  • Alimony paid or received
  • Any notices received from the IRS or state tax office
  • Property tax bills
  • College tuition and student loan interest statements
  • Additions forms of income such as:
    • Prizes and awards
    • Scholarship and fellowships
    • Lottery/gambling winnings

If you lost or do not have all of these items, you can still get your taxes prepared. Call the IRS toll-free helpline at (800) 829-1040 to find out what you need to do and how to obtain replacement documents.