2019 Free Tax Preparation Assistance Sites

Kentuckians have access to nearly 200 free tax preparation sites across the state where trained and IRS-certified volunteers will assist you with your taxes and help you apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

Central Kentucky Economic Empowerment Project -- TEXT 859-320-7759 OR call United Way of the Bluegrass at 211 or 859-233-4460.

Louisville Asset Building Coalition – 502-574-5687 to schedule an appointment – https://www.labcservices.org/

Northern Kentucky Asset Building Coalition (Brighton Center) – Sharon Carr, VITA Specialist, 859-491-8303 ext. 2326 – http://www.brightoncenter.com/programs/financial_services/volunteer-income-tax-assistance

Northeast Asset Building Coalition (Gateway Community Action Agency) – 606-743-3133 – http://www.gcscap.org

Green River Asset Building Coalition (Owensboro area) – 270-685-1603 – https://grabc.org/

Barren River Asset Building Coalition (Bowling Green area) – 270-782-3162 – http://www.casoky.org/brabc

Eastern Kentucky Asset Building Coalition (Hazard area) – 606-436-8853 – https://www.facebook.com/easternkentuckyassetbuildingcoalition


What documents should you bring to the tax preparation site?

  • Valid picture ID
  • Copy of 2015 tax return (if you have it)
  • Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for you, your spouse and any children born before December 31, 2016. (If available, bring the Social Security cards or ITIN letters to ensure the information is copied correctly onto the tax return).
  • Income documentation including:
    • W-2 forms from all jobs worked in 2016
    • All 1099 forms showing other income received in 2016
    • Cash income received
    • Bank name, account number, and the 9-digit American Bankers’ Association (ABA) routing number. Contact your bank if you need assistance identifying the ABA number.
    • If you don’t belong to any bank, you can still use the free tax preparation services at any of these sites, have your taxes filed electronically, and the IRS will mail you a check if you have earned a refund.
    • Some sites also have pre-paid cards on which refunds can be deposited.

If any of the following apply to you, take documentation with you:

  • Child care expenses, including the provider’s address and federal ID #
  • Mortgage company statements
  • Adoption expenses
  • Alimony paid or received
  • Any notices received from the IRS or state tax office
  • Property tax bills
  • College tuition and student loan interest statements
  • Additions forms of income such as:
    • Prizes and awards
    • Scholarship and fellowships
    • Lottery/gambling winnings

If you lost or do not have all of these items, you can still get your taxes prepared. Call the IRS toll-free helpline at (800) 829-1040 to find out what you need to do and how to obtain replacement documents.